range of guns

muppit
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Would be quite a lengthy equation to come up with how far it would travel.. it wouldn't really be that useful either since you cant judge distances perfectly when playing. Like you say barrel size and fps will affect the range, the battery does not, it only affects the ROF and how it lasts obviously.

ty Devastator

only reason this has come up is because my son keeps saying that my gun out-ranges his all the time ,, ive got a cyma m14 socom and he has a g36 ..

looks like if he keeps saying it , it may cost me another gun :angry:

Biggest effect on range is hop up unit. The effective backspin imparted by the hop up is what gives the extra range. Try shooting with the hop off, then turn it up till you hit the sweet spot (just before they start spinning up from the target)

However as to what the exact range is of each AEG. Well that's down to you, practice, judgment and set up. You should be able to get decent body shots at 40m with a half decently set up AEG. But bear in mind that the bb will take around 2 seconds to get that far, so the person may well have moved by the time it gets there.

have a read here for more info

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9251

• Supporters

has he set his hop up as high as you? that's usually the problem with range or accuracy.

I always keep mine set a touch high, just to gain that extra 2 or 3 meters.

but then, also remember that the wind can affect range, if he is shooting you with the wind against him, and you return fire, you are obviously going to hit him first.

and the final factor:

M14's are designed to be long range weapons. G36's are not. (assuming he has a C model)

Biggest effect on range is hop up unit. The effective backspin imparted by the hop up is what gives the extra range. Try shooting with the hop off, then turn it up till you hit the sweet spot (just before they start spinning up from the target)

sorry you are going over my head now , its my son that knows about these guns and i just go play it with him at a site .you say turn the hop -up off ? you mean turn it all the way down so the bb will go a distance then drop and with the hop-up set right it will go further due to the backspin before it drops ??

bet you dont find many dads willing to go play airsoft with there son :D

Hey I'm 38, play with my little brother (in his 20's) and have a 7year old who is desperate to be 14 to come play with daddy.

Hops work like this.

There is a hole in the barrel with a rubber cover on it. It has a nub, small bit of rubber/plastic resting on the hole. When you adjust your hop you press the nub down giving a little bulge in the barrel. When the bb gets sucked into the barrel and pushed by the piston/plunger thing (forgot name), the little bulge makes it spin backwards. This spinning makes it go further. However too much spin and it goes skywards.

So to get more range you start with the hop off, wound down, then gradually turn it up till it just starts to fly up instead of flat, then turn it down a titichy bit. You also want to make sure that you shoot a few rounds before play to soften it up again once the gun has been sat for a while. (or that may be me)

Basically yes, the hop gives you much more distance than not having a hop.

I have a RS type 97b who has to have the hop at 7/10 to be any good

I have an src that needs to be at about a 5/10

I have a jg beta spetz that needs to be at 3/10

each have different hop set ups so need more or less hop applied

I get good groupings with the RS and SRC at 40m and good groupings with the spetz at 30m, but the spetz is more of an indoor gun tbh.

M14's are pretty good at range end of story.

His g36 can be improved by sticking a new hop rubber and hop nub in the gun (about £12-15 of upgrades), but depends upon what make of gun it is. If he does want cracking range then p90's are supposed to be good as well

He will probably not get the range you do with a hop rubber and nub change, but he will be close.

• 1 month later...

There is a formula that you can get a rough range from your FPS if i remember it i will stick it in this post

--EDIT--

With a velocity of 350fps or 106m/s, this means your bb will travel (350*0.47)=157 feet or 47metres.

So the formula is...

(FPS*0.47)=Rough range in Feet

Hope this helps

Jack

• Supporters

change your sons hop-up bucking, if its one of the clones.

Changed out my JG M4's hop up bucking (only bit I chanegd) and doubled my effective range for a mere fiver.

cheap enough for it to not matter too much if it doesn't work all that well and it makes it the bargain of the century if it DOES work

Archived