Two Tone Modification

Shinobi
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey There!
Im fairly new to airsofting and I don't and cannot get a UKARA anytime soon. So i'll have to get a Two Tone :/
Im aware that you cannot spray a Two Tone gun to make it black, but could I buy aftermarket pieces to make it black. This may sound dumb, but I have no idea seeing as there are so many holes and ridiculous things in the Airsofting Law :L Thanks,

Shinobi :D

Short answer, No. You cannot manufacture a RIF without a valid defence.

36 Manufacture, import and sale of realistic imitation firearms(1)A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a)he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;

(b)he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;

©he sells a realistic imitation firearm;

Short answer, No. You cannot manufacture a RIF without a valid defence.

36 Manufacture, import and sale of realistic imitation firearms(1)A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a)he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;

(b)he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;

©he sells a realistic imitation firearm;

Ok. Im too young to get a UKARA, but i've heard there is some sort of way a non member could get a RiF by getting log or diary done by the site owner and then the retailer could ring the site and get the info they need. Also, would a site membership work? Thanks for the quick reply :D

If your under 18 you cannot buy anythin IF or RIF, You would have to be gifted them. Either by parent or friend, If its a RIF they would need to have a defence themselves.]

Have a read here.

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/1254-popular-ukara-questions/

If your under 18 you cannot buy anythin IF or RIF, You would have to be gifted them. Either by parent or friend, If its a RIF they would need to have a defence themselves.]

Have a read here.

Ah, okay. I know you have to be over 18 for any Airsoft gun, i'd just heard something about you can get consent from a site owner and then your parents can buy it for you, must've read it wrong though :L Thanks though! :D

you could probs turn it into another two tone colour for example; orange gun sprayed to bright green.

I dunno if you can. I'm just assuming

Ok, thanks! :D

Have a read here.

So is there NO way of getting a RiF under 18 if you know no-one who has a UKARA. No other ways or forms of defence they can show? So sorry for sounding like such a muppet :L

So is there NO way of getting a RiF under 18 if you know no-one who has a UKARA. No other ways or forms of defence they can show? So sorry for sounding like such a muppet :L

you can. You can have a UKARA registered player to gift you an RIF, whether it be your parents or your mates or just someone random.

When i say "gift", i do not mean saving up and begging your UKARA registered parents to buy you one eventually with your own money. It has to be their money, but then again, who would know? The element of lying is simple enough.

The laws on RIF's are extremely sketchy. You need a defence to own one. UKARA is not the only defence out there, but that's the only one most retailers will use so it might be hard to find another way to get an RIF.

Now I have a theory, someone tell me if I'm wrong and I will not take responsibility for this, but you could buy RIF parts and then change the parts over at the site. This should be allowed and then just change the parts back as you leave. The reason I think this would be allowed is because being at a registered site with insurance gives you a defence whilst there.

Now I have a theory, someone tell me if I'm wrong and I will not take responsibility for this, but you could buy RIF parts and then change the parts over at the site. This should be allowed and then just change the parts back as you leave. The reason I think this would be allowed is because being at a registered site with insurance gives you a defence whilst there.

Well if it works like that with cam tape, then I don't see why it shouldn't work like that. it would be a bit of a pain if you had to change handguard, stock etc. everytime you were arriving or leaving though.

Zak, wrong I'm afraid.

You do NOT need any kind of defence to OWN a RIF (or IF).

You do not commit an offence by purchasing a RIF (the seller is the one that might be prosecuted)

You cannot BUY an IF or a RIF under the age of 18. You CAN however be gifted an IF by anyone over 18.

If you have a valid defence (I'd refer you to my post about UKARA) which obviously can't be UKARA for under 18's, (but UKARA is only really relevant if you are buying from a retailer, it being United Kingdom Airsoft RETAILERS Association) you can alter the IF so that it becomes a RIF.

The charge that you could face would be manufacturing a RIF, and there is allowance for the valid defence of being a skirmisher (ok, the word is never used, the actual defence is that you take part in organised events at a place that has public liability insurance).

So IF you play regularly at a proper airsoft site, that has proper insurance in place, then you have a defence to take your IF and make it a RIF, whether that is by spraying over the brightly coloured portion, or whether it's replacing the bright parts with black spare parts.

You will probably want to either become a member, or make a diary and ask the person in charge to stamp/sign it each time you play, to prove that you do actually play.

If you DON'T play regularly at a site, then it's a really silly idea to make your IF into an RIF.

Well if it works like that with cam tape, then I don't see why it shouldn't work like that. it would be a bit of a pain if you had to change handguard, stock etc. everytime you were arriving or leaving though.

my theory exactly :D

But it should be easy on an m4 for example, handguard and stock could be changed over in under a minute

Zak, wrong I'm afraid.

You do NOT need any kind of defence to OWN a RIF (or IF).

You do not commit an offence by purchasing a RIF (the seller is the one that might be prosecuted)

You cannot BUY an IF or a RIF under the age of 18. You CAN however be gifted an IF by anyone over 18.

If you have a valid defence (I'd refer you to my post about UKARA) which obviously can't be UKARA for under 18's, (but UKARA is only really relevant if you are buying from a retailer, it being United Kingdom Airsoft RETAILERS Association) you can alter the IF so that it becomes a RIF.

The charge that you could face would be manufacturing a RIF, and there is allowance for the valid defence of being a skirmisher (ok, the word is never used, the actual defence is that you take part in organised events at a place that has public liability insurance).

So IF you play regularly at a proper airsoft site, that has proper insurance in place, then you have a defence to take your IF and make it a RIF, whether that is by spraying over the brightly coloured portion, or whether it's replacing the bright parts with black spare parts.

You will probably want to either become a member, or make a diary and ask the person in charge to stamp/sign it each time you play, to prove that you do actually play.

If you DON'T play regularly at a site, then it's a really silly idea to make your IF into an RIF.

I tried to put it in layman's terms, so it may be a bit wrong what I said, but you get the general idea. Also, no offence, but your post is very confusing :)

I thought this was what I said and you said I was wrong and then stated this. (BTW. AKFrizzle is right, I've got to give you credit for writing that long paragraph)

Sorry, it may just be me not thinking straight. I feel in the dumps and can't focus much at the mo'

No Zak, you said "you need a defence to own one" which is completely incorrect.

Also, all the faff with changing the parts at the site. If you have a defence (if you are playing regularly at a site with insurance then you do) then you can change the parts over permanently. If you don't have a defence, then changing the parts over is manufacturing a RIF, and you DON'T have a defence against prosecution so you could be facing a big fine and/or prison.

If you have a defence, then turn your IF into a RIF and get on with it. If you DON'T have a defence then anything that makes it an IF is illegal. Simples.

No Zak, you said "you need a defence to own one" which is completely incorrect.

Also, all the faff with changing the parts at the site. If you have a defence (if you are playing regularly at a site with insurance then you do) then you can change the parts over permanently. If you don't have a defence, then changing the parts over is manufacturing a RIF, and you DON'T have a defence against prosecution so you could be facing a big fine and/or prison.

If you have a defence, then turn your IF into a RIF and get on with it. If you DON'T have a defence then anything that makes it an IF is illegal. Simples.

Ahhhh. I get what you meant now, thanks for bearing with me

• AF-UK Founding Member

Not if you are under 18:

(1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm.

(2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

As a general note when discussing this kind of thing which could have serious implications, it would be nice to see people read up a little bit before they a. ask questions or b. answer those questions with doubt or incorrectly. This isn't aimed at anyone, it would just generally help these threads to have clearer information.

Also please try not to double/triple post. I've merged too many posts in here. Just press the EDIT button on your last post.

Thanks.

Devastator, absolutely correct. I refer you to the next line down in my post!

"You cannot BUY an IF or a RIF under the age of 18. You CAN however be gifted an IF by anyone over 18."

When I post I trust that people will take the time to read the whole post, and not just cherry pick something that might, if taken out of context, be incorrect.

I HAVE taken the time to read ALL the law surrounding all types of firearm and imitation firearm, including the VCRA and the Firearms Act, and it's various amendments. Whilst some of my opinion might be disagreed with (and this is a good thing, nobody would ever get anywhere in any endeavour if people just agree with everything) when I quote the law I generally get it right. Of course I am as capable as the next man of making mistakes, which is why I urge everyone who has anything to do with guns of any sort to read the legislation for themselves to try and understand it. My opinions are just that, my opinions, and I expect anyone who thinks to follow them to at least do their own research first!

• AF-UK Founding Member

As I said, my post was not aimed at anyone in particular. Your post was not cherry picked.

I just found the two lines a bit confusing so wanted to clarify things. To me your post read as though only the seller could get in trouble, yet the act says it can be an offence against either party.

Thanks.

Ok, thanks for all your help! I may consider getting a Two Tone then over time getting a defence to change the coloured parts to black parts. Thanks again for all your help, and sorry for being such a noob :D

Shinobi, if you don't ask questions how can you learn anything? Don't apologise for asking questions.

Aha okay! Thanks for your replies, they were really helpful! :D

• 8 months later...

Legally speaking, you can turn an IF into a RIF just because you're going to play airsoft at a site tomorrow or the next day. The idea of 'regular' airsofting is not mentioned in law, so theoretically you could do that before playing your first game.

Archived