The 'What have you just broken' Thread

Ian_Gere
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

COBBLERS

I got a pair of trainers like them, absolutely shagged, holes in sole, back coming away but man are they so damn comfy

I really didn't want to get rid of these as now they've worn in, they are so damn sturdy and comfy now. Luckily, i managed to fix them. Sorry about a long reply, I didn't even notice this post.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having tested the mag, I think there's an O ring missing. When I try filling the mag, gas comes straight out of the nozzle. I have ordered a set of O rings from Amazon and shall see if I can plunder parts from a pistol mag when I finish work.

Grr, found an O ring to fit but lost the damn C clip!

I think I know where to source a spare though. Used to use a lot of them before digital projection and I bet we still have the spares somewhere at work.

Progress on bodging matilda's gas release valve back together:

Am still waiting for O rings and E clips to arrive but have managed to use a small piece of rubber glove to make the valve work but not yet to the standard required. The mag will hold gas, but releases too slowly. I feel I am beginning to get a hold on how the valve works and so should possibly be able to get it fully working once I have the O ring and E clip.

• Supporters

Some pics of the parts and how they go together would help, Russe11 mate. Not just for this gun, but help people (me especially) understand how the gas system works.

• Supporters

Aaaaaaand... the penis of the week award goes to... I have the envelope here, just wait while I put my specs on... yes that's it, the AF-UK penis of the week award goes to... [cue drum roll] Ieeeeeeee-an Gere! For overtightening the bolt of the new AK pistol grip I've just fitted - $15+ about $10P&P ffs! What an absolute fucking penis!!!!!!!!!!

busted_pistol_grip_hole_01.jpg

...I'm going to try superglue

as it's perfect for this kind of thing, where the break can fit back exactly into where it broke from, but I'm not very hopeful. There's always going to be some sideways pressure on this so a glued joint is going to get exactly the kind of abuse they're worst at resisting :'(

Stripped down my g36 to add a new spring and now it's not feeding BBs. Not touched the barrel or hop up area, and the gearbox cycles on semi/full auto still but nothing coming out the barrel. Mags seem to be feeding in the sense that there's loose BBs after each trigger pull when I take the mag out.

Any ideas on what could be up?

• Supporters

Aaaaaaand... the penis of the week award goes to... I have the envelope here, just wait while I put my specs on... yes that's it, the AF-UK penis of the week award goes to... [cue drum roll] Ieeeeeeee-an Gere! For overtightening the bolt of the new AK pistol grip I've just fitted - $15+ about $10P&P ffs! What an absolute f*cking penis!!!!!!!!!!

busted_pistol_grip_hole_01.jpg

...I'm going to try superglue

as it's perfect for this kind of thing, where the break can fit back exactly into where it broke from, but I'm not very hopeful. There's always going to be some sideways pressure on this so a glued joint is going to get exactly the kind of abuse they're worst at resisting :'(

Araldite is your friend.

Not so much recently destroyed, as "came broken and now I've disassembled it I've given up hope and called it a bad do" - my glock is a write off, something repeatedly causes it to short stroke and jam - took it apart and can't find the fault. To the boneyard with you. (Pretty sure it's in the hammer group.) I've got one project gun, don't need a second project fixer upper!

Some pics of the parts and how they go together would help, Russe11 mate. Not just for this gun, but help people (me especially) understand how the gas system works.

Unfortunately the parts are too small to get a clear enough picture. I'm not sure a picture would even help much, this is just one of those things where you have to just keep trying stuff until something works. :(

• Supporters

Stripped down my g36 to add a new spring and now it's not feeding BBs. Not touched the barrel or hop up area, and the gearbox cycles on semi/full auto still but nothing coming out the barrel. Mags seem to be feeding in the sense that there's loose BBs after each trigger pull when I take the mag out.

TBH it's been a while since i've worked on a G36, but don't you have to remove the barrel/hop assembly to get the GB out?

My advice in these sort of situations is dismantle it and put it back together again - you may never know exactly what the problem was, but doing it again often sorts out the gremlin.

• Supporters

Does the nozzle move when firing? Maybe the nozzle is not in the tappet.

What brand is it?

It's a mix of different bits and pieces, started life as an SRC though. Gearbox is a Frankenstein mix of CYMA, SHS, SRC and element pieces.

The gearbox is fine so may just take Ian's advice and disassemble/reassemble it to see if that works. Oh and yeah you disconnect the barrel assembly from everything to get the gearbox out, Ian, but the hop up stays attached to it.

• Supporters

Yeah Happy, it's all coming back to me... mine is still in bits because i couldn't work out why it would not engage full auto and i've just had my mind on other things since. I'd just assumed that you had reassembled the gb properly, but Samurai makes a good point - if the tappet plate spring has come off the pin then it wouldn't feed.

Something else to consider is has your ROF increased since you fitted the new spring? Maybe you've got the dreaded gb cycle too fast for the BB's to pop up and be pushed into the barrel by the nozzle... in that case though the 1st shot will usually fire whenever you fit a mag. If that is the case, you need a tappet plate delayer chip to add to the sector gear.

• 4 weeks later...

*sighs* the connecting tab on my motor for my AK snapped I hadn't even touched it. Is it possible to solder it back on or even the wire?

• Supporters

*sighs* the connecting tab on my motor for my AK snapped I hadn't even touched it. Is it possible to solder it back on or even the wire?

Actually it's not completely simple - the post which the tab is attached to is wrapped by a spring, yeah? And that spring/post combo is the most obvious thing to solder the wire to... but solder doesn't want to stick to that spring no matter how hot you make it or even using flux. You need to scratch the surface of it with a file, or sharpening stone (or whatever bodge-tastic means at your disposal).

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters

30/11/14 - had to take the little PBS-3 suppressor off Valyushka my Silverback PP-19 Bizon 2 because about 1/5 BB's would swerve off to the lower left - there's nothing but 1 thin ring of foam in it, with a bore much wider than the exit/muzzle, so I think some rethinking with some LX and PTFE tape to adjust the way it sits on its threads may be in order.

Then I slipped on a combination of BB's in me boot tread and wet lino floor, in the classic 'would have crippled meself for weeks if i hadn't twisted to the side to avoid landing on me coccyx' style beloved of banana skin fans the world over (it's the 2nd time I've visited The Stan and the 2nd time i've done exactly this and only a few metres from where it happened the first time, iirc :unsure::wacko: Gave Valyushka a good clatter and my NC Star 1 x 25 red/green dot is no longer working. I have hopes that it is just a loose connection but, perhaps jinxingly, I had already ordered some laser diodes for another project (plus a few spare for S&G) so I ought to be good to go whatever the problem turns out to be.

Then Valyushka herself ran out of battery charge. This was unexpected - it was only an 8.4V Vapex 1600mAh NiMh stick, but freshly charged and its 1st skirmish. She then ran down my spare, another the same, but older. No sign of unexpected heat, no smoke, or arcing... I have no idea, but I'm guessing it must be a short somewhere. I was planning to rewire her soon anyway, but also to fit a BW3 MOSFET, although I'm not keen to do the latter now unless/until I figure out the problem, because even tiny transient shorts are fatal to MOSFETs...

• Supporters

29/11/14 - (technically i didn't break it) bought myself a well r4 (MP7), tried to test fire it at my local site before i handed over cash, but it wouldn't fire ... so figuring it may be a flat battery, i bought it, got it home .. changed battery etc .... i was wrong ... seems the triggers fubar'ed :angry:

A rib... One of mine... Two days before my first skirmish after two months playing :(

My ukara registration will have to wait. At least my pistol will feel more like a christmas present now :P

• Supporters

A rib... One of mine... Two days before my first skirmish after two months playing :(

My ukara registration will have to wait. At least my pistol will feel more like a christmas present now :P

Join the injured man club, broken my elbow and wrist a few weeks ago too

• Supporters

G&G CM18 - started to push her a bit with a hi-speed motor and about 10v

So far - AR lever SNAPPED !!! - right in half

replace AR with SHS one - fps a little low so open back up & dropped in a m105

very nice - bang on mark 345~351 - very pleased

ok lets push her a bit 11.1v lipo - woah this is good indeed 26+ rof on stock gears

100 to 200 bb's later - pre-engage and piston snapped at initial first tooth - great just bloody great

serves me right should of kept it at usual sensible 8.6v or 9.9v life battery.....

OK - lets short stroke on a hi-speed set of gears - yeah not working out how I planned and now I think

will go back to stock gears and not push her too much - but must of had her apart about 5 times already

yeah sod this trying to tech malarky - but one thing I have learned....

I STILL know jack $hit about gearboxes - well learning how to break them quicker now

• 8 months later...
  • Supporters

Currently getting close to harakiri atm with friggin' gearbox

bevel gear shattered - bearings started to disintergrate & locked with teeth flying off bevel

(never use bearings in higher rof gun even if you think stock ones will be ok)

ok - another bevel & clean up of broken teeth

fit bushings - yup spins quite well

tested - hmm seems sluggish or binding/straining or something

Hmmmm wasn't happy with shimming on bushings - bevel too high it seemed when motor wound in and rubbing on AR

motor pinion seemed a bit crap too - replaced that on motor

another bevel used - old one seemed to not run smooth using new pinion gear rolling it around bevel gear.....

ooh them bushings - one or two that seem a tight fit now seem loose

ok glue them all into box - yup I know I should of done it anyway but a couple seemed to go in real tight

ok now all glued in, more checking of shimming, laying motor in line with bevel and checking with grip fitted

Oh yeah seemed that when stock fitted it was pulling back on box tilting it up a bit and losing fps against hop

jeeez - even scribed receiver to check pistol grip fitted correctly - yup that is ok - it is the stock pulling back on box

but fitted a small rubber washer at back of gearbox/receiver and checked it no longer pulled upwards when stock fitted

right all sorted, quick test with pistol grip fitted to gearbox, battery, minor tweak on motor height....

jeez that sounds better & very quick once more

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - F*CKING PISTON'S INITIAL TOOTH SNAPPED OFF !!!!!

(yes AoE was corrected when first opened her up)

a little remnant of pick up tooth appears in gearbox rear window - great just bloomin' great

(thought I found a nice strong 50/50 plastic+steel piston - but hey I could break tonka toys very quickly as a kid)

This friggin' box is just jinxed - probably now use a full metal rack piston but wasn't expecting to swiss cheese a heavier piston tonight

atm its 50/50 do I start sorting more crap to do or just throw this bloomin' box down the garden & just go and use a springer instead

Archived