Hi and a little help choosing a new AEG

andy2992
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone im new to this forum. Been airsofting about six months now, woodland sites in essex mainly.

I have a bit of a predicament, i want a new AEG have about £400 to spend but im stuck on which to get. My short list is either a G&G scar l or a VFC HK 417.

Not really interested in anyother type of rifle but im open to suggestions for alternative manufactures.

any help, advise, suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance

Hi everyone im new to this forum. Been airsofting about six months now, woodland sites in essex mainly.

I have a bit of a predicament, i want a new AEG have about £400 to spend but im stuck on which to get. My short list is either a G&G scar l or a VFC HK 417.

Not really interested in anyother type of rifle but im open to suggestions for alternative manufactures.

any help, advise, suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance

you can get a real decent gas blowback scar for around £350 . they are great guns my mates got one of them recoil is amazing

Personally I don't think you can fault G&G. Why not see if you can get to a local or London based store and try them out for size.

Last time I was torn between two guns i was in the shop handling them both for over an hour and i still walked away with what i think is the wrong one :rolleyes: . I know I should get down to a shop and handle them both but i work six days a week its a real struggle to find time to get anywhere.

This is terrible one minute its the scar the next its the 417, it doesnt help that the scar is £120 cheaper, which is money i would use for lipos, charger scope etc

you can get a real decent gas blowback scar for around £350 . they are great guns my mates got one of them recoil is amazing

I've seen one in action. but wouldn't that just be a summer gun? do gas blowback rifles get affect by the cold the same way as a gas blowback pistol? also thats a lot of expense in green gas

• Supporters

For me, it'd be the 417, but much as I hate to say it there's no way anyone can make the decision for you. If you've been hands on with a SCAR and any AR-15 variant before then it's basically just a case of deciding what you like the feel of more, although the new VFC does a few little nice design improvements inside compared to your average AEG which makes the internals quite appealing as well.

Basically you'll be buying gun-specific mags for the 417 plus a more expensive base gun, but it's the more gucci option overall. If you want to spend less money and have mags that'll work in a load of other guns then pickup the SCAR, it's just a matter of deciding what your priorities are.

but wouldn't that just be a summer gun? do gas blowback rifles get affect by the cold the same way as a gas blowback pistol? also thats a lot of expense in green gas

Depends where you live. In southern england you can usually manage to skirmish a GBBr for a bit longer than just the summer, but yes they're affected by cold/rapid firing just the same as a GBB pistol. Then you've real-cap mags that cost a ton and weigh even more, much more cleaning and maintenance to do and as you say the added cost of gas. They're great fun of course, just depends if you think it's worth the substantial extra aggro.

Cheers for the advice as far peps, I still haven't made up my mind as yet.

I've ruled out the 416 as I wanted to stay clear from the ar platform but the 417 does look different and is quite unique.

I've got positives and negatives for both, I think I'm just gonna have to take the plunge and choose one of them

Just thought I'd give an update. I went for the g&g scar in the end, haven't actually fired it yet but so far I'm well pleased with what I've got.

A few reason why I went for the scar in the end:

£120 cheaper

Uses my existing mags

Compact, making it easier to move around with

What I really like about the scar:

Beautiful finish

Solid build, nothing, not a thing feels loose in anyway

Folding stock is a godsend for cqb (exposed wires are very neat considering)

Gripod included is a nice extra

Ill add what it's like to shoot when I get a battery sorted.

Finally thanks to everyone who gave there input to this thread

Archived