AEP or GBB for pistols?

Richard65
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Hi,

Getting to the point of looking for a first pistol for CQB. Most pisto;s on sale seem to be gas types but there are a few electril ones around.

When it comes to assault rifles the electric seem to dominate - are the electric pistols worth considering?

Gas > Electric

I have 2 gas weapons, and 1 electric. The gas ones are far more fun to use, and to date never gone wrong. The electric one however is a replacement for a faulty one and even this one is going wrong at times :P

Since its CQB, most sites i know don't allow full-auto.

Gas will work fine, but depends what type. CO2 can run hot, but green gas / propane is generally fine.

I wouldn't say electric guns dominate, just there are more around. :P

I'm trying to decide between a £40 NBB C02 USP or a £70 NBB G18 AEP. (+ extra mag & delivery will make it over double the price!)

You can't get extra mags for the C02 pistol, whereas the CYMA Glock has 28 and 100 round magazines for only about £8 or so (including delivery)

On the other hand, the C02 handgun is still arguably better value and you can get 11 12g C02 capsules for £4.50.

Ian Gere made a review of it and said the mags are hard to reload too.

So can't really decide, I'm also going to be in CQB a lot so a full auto* sidearm with a 100 round magazine would be epic...

*I think the site I go to is semi only :(

Any gas pistol costing less than about £80 new is likely to be a big disappointment. If you want something reliable then look for the established makes, e.g. TM, WE, KWA, etc. There are a few cheaper ones available but the likelihood of them lasting is not great. CO2 pistols usually have high FPS and most sites will not allow you to use them anyway, so you will need to look at a normal GBB.

Electric pistols are more of an all year option, as they should work even in the coldest days, whilst most GBBs will vent gas easily and not work when the temperature is low. Electric pistols are usually a much lower FPS (typically around 200 fps), so are perfect for CQB, where engagement distances are short and the mags are usually cheap by comparison to GBB mags.

Whilst a pistol is a useful backup, most people who carry them rarely end up using them, unless their main weapon breaks, they run out of ammo, or they carry a sniper rifle, in which case they need to use it if engaging targets inside the minimum engagement distance (usually 20-30 yards depending on site).

I've got four, a TM and an ARMY G17 GBB, a CYMA Dessie AEP (converted to Lipo) and a spring 1911 (for very cold weather games). The Army broke early but now works fine having been upgraded with a TM slide. The Dessie is huge but has good trigger response from the Lipo conversion, but the TM outshines them all and is my pistol of choice in all but the winter months, unless playing indoors (e.g. The Mall).

I'm using a KWA USP Compact GBB that I got from Wolf Armouries for £90, at the time. Spare mages are £15 although you may be able to get them a few quid cheaper by shopping around. It is a cracking sidearm that goes with me to every CQB game, but it is rarely used. It only comes out in tight confined spaces or when my assault rifle is out of ammo, so it is really only a back up.

I would completely agree that the £40 option you mentioned would probably end up being a complete disappointment and you'd probably spend more money shortly after to replace it, so it would make more sense to buy the better option first. If you have an Airsoft shop near you, I would suggest getting yourself down there and talking to them about the options and pricing. You could also get to hold them whilst your there to get a feel for the weapon so you can feel more confident about your selection.

Hope that helps.

I'm trying to decide between a £40 NBB C02 USP or a £70 NBB G18 AEP. (+ extra mag & delivery will make it over double the price!)

You can't get extra mags for the C02 pistol, whereas the CYMA Glock has 28 and 100 round magazines for only about £8 or so (including delivery)

On the other hand, the C02 handgun is still arguably better value and you can get 11 12g C02 capsules for £4.50.

Ian Gere made a review of it and said the mags are hard to reload too.

So can't really decide, I'm also going to be in CQB a lot so a full auto* sidearm with a 100 round magazine would be epic...

Archived