Max FPS for Air Soft (not game max)

BorgCymru

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Well if you're not skirmishing it you can crank up the fps to whatever you can manage.

I think that any weapon firing over 373fps measured with a .20 that is capable of full auto is illegal in the UK though... Might need someone else to clarify.

But I've heard of bolt action snipers pushing 750fps, airsoft guns are essentially air rifles that fire safer ammo, after all. Anything an air rifle can do, an airsoft gun can do with the right parts and know-how, and air rifles can hit above 800fps, above 900fps even.

There's probably a point where you'll reach the 12ft/Ilb energy limit though.

• Supporters

Ed, that equates to almost 5200 FPS on a .20g BB.

Wait a second..

EDIT: 1320 FPS on a .20g BB, I misread gr as g.

• Supporters

You never know, I've seen 900 FPS on YouTube before..

Found the following paragraph on the internet, don't blame me if its wrong :P

If you're not planning on shooting at people but using it for targets/plinking then as the gun gets more powerful it's regarded as an airgun and is subject to the laws for the use of those.

The maximum UK limit for an airgun (which require no licensing) is 13ftLbs of which is a LOT more than any airsoft gun will ever be capable of.

An airsoft gun as such won't fall under any of the law governing automatics which prevent them from being too powerful.

Technically any airsoft guns over 350fps with 0.2g is a section 5 firearm - however this had never been applied to airsoft guns by the powers that be.

The long and short of it is, as powerful as current technology will allow, I would not be at all surprised to find out there are guns up to 1500fps or more. Though I would expect they'd be on maybe a 0.8mm round to get more air in, then its just a case of putting that air under as much pressure as possible without damaging it. Huge spring with a wind up action like some crossbows or something..

If your looking for long range shooting you can always get a proper airgun (up to 13ftLbs in any case). Or even try and get a proper gun licence if the range you go to caters for that, depends on if your mad enough to sit down and go through the Government forms and legal stuff :P

• Supporters

There's a topic somewhere on these forums that mentions using metallic ammo to hit targets out to and beyond 400 feet. There are apparently airsoft competitions you can enter where the participants modify their guns, with no restrictions, the aim being to see who can hit the furthest with the most accuracy.

It is possible to set airsoft guns up to outperform air rifles, it just costs one hell of a lot more and it tends to only be realistically possible with gas powered snipers rigged up with HPA systems. Springs are too limiting because of the limited space you have free to put one inside a gun, the fact that gearboxes can only be reinforced so far and there the fact that there comes a point were gears will just shred themselves, on top of the fact that no motor can pull the high power spring you're wanting to use.

HPA on a gas bolt action is certainly the best direction to go if you're wanting mega power, accuracy and range. But you'll have to know what you're doing.

Seen a few posts but they seem to mention 'game' fps. What is the max , if there is one, a gun can be without taking the 'game' rules into account ?

Thanks

I think the actull UK legal limit is 720fps but most hardcore sites will ownly allow upto 520fps hope this helped

I think the actull UK legal limit is 720fps but most hardcore sites will ownly allow upto 520fps hope this helped

My dad runs at 860fps he shouldent but its his pride and joy.Theres allways someone else who is cheating on the oppisite side if you want you could get a tatty looking gun so is to avoid the suspistion of a fast gun and a crono. that way you could make is shoot fast

Please. I'm not interested in games or site rules.

I want to use my L1A1 Fa-Mas and stuff like that, so buying a sniper is out. guns I have that I used in RL in the Army and such for Range work. Pinking fun.

Thanks for the info . I would think then that a decent FPS to aim for with a spring gun like the L1A1 is around the 500/600 mark then. Keeping it usable and affordable.

• Supporters
My dad runs at 860fps he shouldent but its his pride and joy.Theres allways someone else who is cheating on the oppisite side if you want you could get a tatty looking gun so is to avoid the suspistion of a fast gun and a crono. that way you could make is shoot fast

Someone's telling porkies.. Anyone with any sense at all wouldn't do that. And if they did, other players and marshals would spot it instantly.

• Supporters

Yeah... If 400fps can break skin and wedge itself into it, twice that would be shooting a good inch or more into people. What you've got there can kill if you're being serious.

Even using metal BBs for the chrono I bet it'd still read as a hot weapon. You're obviously too new to the forums to know we aren't all mentally retarded. Nice try though.

• Supporters
Yeah... If 400fps can break skin and wedge itself into it, twice that would be shooting a good inch or more into people. What you've got there can kill if you're being serious.

Even using metal BBs for the chrono I bet it'd still read as a hot weapon. You're obviously too new to the forums to know we aren't all mentally retarded. Nice try though.

lol

Yer totaly agree

as a target shooter who own's a FAC i can tell you even with a gas

Air soft rifle there would be no way on earth you could get it any were near the 12ft/lb legal limit (if you dont own a Firearms cert)

because unless your using 8g bb which is about the avarge weight of a .177 pellet the force could not be applyed due to

fixed velocity rule/ terminal velocity rule

anyway.......

i think by definition its no longer (Air soft?)

plus to get the same sort of power as an air rifle or pcp would require thicker seals for a start as well as a whole mess of other upgrades i cant be asked to list

it would be cheaper to buy a .22/5.5mm and bore the barrel for 6mm but even then weight/grain of the load will determine speed

• Supporters

By 8g do you mean grams, or grains?

'Cos the average .177 pellet can't be 8grams... Can it? I'd never really thought about it.

Since we're on the topic, how do grains equate to grams?

• Supporters
By 8g do you mean grams, or grains?

'Cos the average .177 pellet can't be 8grams... Can it? I'd never really thought about it.

Since we're on the topic, how do grains equate to grams?

number of grains x .06479891 = number of grams

number grams / by .06479891 = number of grains

• 1 month later...

Firstly, legally, an air rifle is limited to 12 ft.lb before it becomes a section 1 firearm. An air pistol can only be 6 ft.lb. Make no mistake, if you are caught with ANY weapon that's not held on an FAC that produces more than 12 ft.lb, with ANY projectile that they can stuff down it, then you WILL end up with a criminal record and you WILL forfeit the gun.

Now, for a weapon to be considered "airsoft" (i.e. a toy, not a "lethally barreled weapon for the purposes of the firearms act) Home Office guidance sets out a muzzle energy below 1 joule, so about 330fps with a .2g projectile.

In theory, anything above this level is considered a "lethal barreled weapon" and falls under all the provisions of the firearms act 1968, as amended.

Practically all this means is that any weapon which is capable of firing more than one projectile without repeated pressure on the trigger (i.e. fully auto) is a prohibited weapon under section 5 of the act. This is why single shot, and semi auto guns are often seen with higher energy levels.

Now, this isn't actually included in settled law, only in guidance, but it would seem silly to risk the criminal record and seizure of guns that might result from a prosecution for having a S5 firearm without a certificate.

For one joule, with a .2g bb, your velocity will be 328.08 fps.

To hit the 12 ft.lb legal limit before a firearms certificate is required, you would need to propel the .2g bb at 1323.4 fps, which is going to be tricky with any of the standard mechanisms used in bb guns.

• 2 years later...

I haven't used this in a looong time... but:

necroposting_zps0c0f7ca0.jpg

necroposter_zpsf09ff7ad.jpg

NECROKITTEN_zpsff7ae910.jpg

Anyway... I've seen people playing with 800 fps set ups but the trajectory goes waaaayyy off because all current BB weights are too light for that kind of speed, unless you use steel BBs...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.