ACOG saturated with water

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Call me stupid, but I just accidentally dropped my ACOG in the sink.

Now it won't work, water seems to have caused all the reflective cross hair/zoomy bits inside to have completely stopped working. I can't really describe what I can see, but if you look down it, it's kinda like looking at a mirror placed at 45 degrees. I can see through one half ok (well, minus the fogging) but the other half looks like the mirrored image of one of the inside walls of the scope body.

If you want to know how I managed this, I was taking a load of stuff apart in order to clean it. Hot soapy water ftw... Or not.

I'd been sat down on my bed faffing with stuff for ages and I'd forgotten that my ACOG was in my front hoody pocket from when I'd taken it apart earlier to try and rotate the crosshairs a bit, as they'd been lining up off centre, kind of at the 11 o'clock position instead of 12.

I got distracted before I finished putting it back together and ended up putting it my pocket... So yeah, when I went to wash the stuff in the sink, I leaned over, ACOG fell out... Yeah.

So have I completely f*cked it or what? Right now I'm just leaving it to dry out. Hopefully that ought to sort it.

Call me stupid, but I just accidentally dropped my ACOG in the sink.

Now it won't work, water seems to have caused all the reflective cross hair/zoomy bits inside to have completely stopped working. I can't really describe what I can see, but if you look down it, it's kinda like looking at a mirror placed at 45 degrees. I can see through one half ok (well, minus the fogging) but the other half looks like the mirrored image of one of the inside walls of the scope body.

If you want to know how I managed this, I was taking a load of stuff apart in order to clean it. Hot soapy water ftw... Or not.

I'd been sat down on my bed faffing with stuff for ages and I'd forgotten that my ACOG was in my front hoody pocket from when I'd taken it apart earlier to try and rotate the crosshairs a bit, as they'd been lining up off centre, kind of at the 11 o'clock position instead of 12.

I got distracted before I finished putting it back together and ended up putting it my pocket... So yeah, when I went to wash the stuff in the sink, I leaned over, ACOG fell out... Yeah.

So have I completely f*cked it or what? Right now I'm just leaving it to dry out. Hopefully that ought to sort it.

You are a walking disaster. I would wait for it to dry out. and take the battery out for gods sake.

• Supporters
You are a walking disaster. I would wait for it to dry out. and take the battery out for gods sake.

It doesn't have a battery. But yeah, waiting for it to dry out is my plan.

But, the thing is, how will I know whether it's just still wet, or completely FUBAR?

It doesn't have a battery. But yeah, waiting for it to dry out is my plan.

But, the thing is, how will I know whether it's just still wet, or completely FUBAR?

After a week of drying or a few days after borrowing the hairdryer and going over it for a few hours. but downt burn it out or the girl freind will kill you.

• Supporters

Haha thanks for the tip.

The following works for watches and camera lenses (similar to optics I suppose).

Once you've got the majority of the water out you could try putting the ACOG inside a zip-lock bag with some silica gel packets (the kind you get in shoe boxes etc.). This will get out moisture from hard to reach places.

• Supporters

That is the best idea ever, thank you. I think I have one of those in the bin from something I ordered the other day.

Had it sat in sillica crystals for a day or so now, the water's all cleared but it's still not clear. It makes everything look like it's insanely foggy but I'm sure all the moisture has gone.

Is there anything I could wipe over it all to remove smudges and stuff? What's a good de-misting solution?

• Supporters

Sorted it out.

After the silica gel dried it all it had an absolute bomb load of smudges and stuff all over it, so it was still like looking through fog made of walls.

I mixed some fairy washing up liquid with water and poured it all over the inside piece, which did a great job of removing all the marks and leaving all the glass parts perfectly clean and sort of varnished so they were less susceptible to taking more marks, then I dried it with a hair dryer (took about 25 minutes) and very awkwardly managed to ram it all back in.

Putting it back together has got to be one of THE most irritating, difficult tasks I've ever undertaken... Twice.

Archived