How do i buy a realistic SA80 without being UKARA registered?

The baz!
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hay, im a british army collector and have been trying to find a metal SA80 to add to my collection but due to this 'UKARA' thing, i cant, does anyone know how i can get around this or know anyone selling one in good condiction?

cheers

hay, im a british army collector and have been trying to find a metal SA80 to add to my collection but due to this 'UKARA' thing, i cant, does anyone know how i can get around this or know anyone selling one in good condiction?

cheers

No one will sell you one, as in an airsoft one, as the "UKARA" thing is there for precisely that, to stop people from owning RIF, unless they are a regular skirmisher or have another defence, however, as you are a collector, why not go along to a military convention, there is one in malvern this weekend, and buy a deactivated one, there was one at the last show, very expensive, but its the real thing, unless you actually want one that fires, if so join a registered site, and play the required number of games in the required amount of time, i'm not trying to come across all holier than thou, but if every man and his dog could just go off the street and buy one, there would be no airsoft, in short, please dont try and flout the rules.

rgds

dollar

also if you were a genuine collector, should you not know that is not called an SA80, but an L85

No way around the UKARA I am afraid. If you are a collector you maybe able to get a deactivated L85 but I don't think any Airsoft retailer will sell you a RIF based on you being a collector.

• 4 weeks later...

Erm yes, and no.

There are a few minor exceptions in UKARA, but you must jump through a hell of a lot of hoops, and must have proof that what you are doing does indeed require the use of RiFs.

Films/Plays. But, you must have proof that you are actually doing this (i.e production company details). That said, most films that do use airsoft RiFs, tend to rent the gun, so it isn't permenant.

If you are a reinactor, then you could be exempt, providing you have the group membership details. I'm not entirely sure though, as most reinactor groups I've seen tend to use de-activated real firearms, or simple replicas.

Deactivated SA80s, specifically L85s - you could be looking at anything from a few hundred, to a few thousand quid (yes, I have looked :lol: )

If you are a private collector then you are going to find it hard to get a L85 be it a de-ac, AEG or blankfirer. You either need to get a reinactors defence (no idea about how to do this) or a UKARA defence so you can buy an AEG. The AEG would be the easier option in my opinion as you only need to skirmish 3 times in no less than 2 months and you are sorted.

I've only ever seen one BF SA80 type weapon.

Price wise (and this was about 6 years ago), you were looking at about £2000.

The BF licence requires money, and a police check (and money for that), and a few other things which I can't remember.

Another option - you can get .202 rifles that look like the real deal (obviously semi-automatic or bolt action). (Or, the old A1 cadet rifles - but these are somewhat difficult to come by)

For the above, you need rifle licences.

• 3 weeks later...
I've only ever seen one BF SA80 type weapon.

Price wise (and this was about 6 years ago), you were looking at about £2000.

The BF licence requires money, and a police check (and money for that), and a few other things which I can't remember.

Another option - you can get .202 rifles that look like the real deal (obviously semi-automatic or bolt action). (Or, the old A1 cadet rifles - but these are somewhat difficult to come by)

For the above, you need rifle licences.

he'll never come across any of the L98A1s (old cadet rifles)cos theyve been taken apart and parts such as the pistol grip and sights have been used for the new rifles L98A2s, plus the cocking handle is very different to the real SA80s and not good for collecting

Archived