New sight for the SA80

shaneyplane
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know this is brand new for the british army infantry, (a mate is an armorer) and has let me know that these are coming into effect,

my question is when do people think there will be a replica or the real ones up for sale, as im trying to keep up with a british load out

http://www.elcansightingsystems.com/Specte...SpecterOS4x.php

There's currently four or five Elcan SprectreDR replicas floating around - but, IRRC, none of them are the exact model.

The full British standard optic is fixed at X4 mag (rather than the X1/X4 variable of most replicas), and has a doctor mini RDS built on top for CQB.

It'll be a long time before you see the real thing on sale for the public (eBay or whatever). At least, in theory. Technically, the new Daniel Defence RiS system isn't meant to be sold...but that hasn't stopped several going up on eBay.

no for three reasons

1) the susat is being ravamped

2) the acog's the mod have bought alought s***

are about 600 quid a pop

3)the battrie life of and eclan is 300 hours a

susats is 8-10 years

only place in the army were the old eclan

is used is on the minimi and the mk19 but

thay are being replaced by the acog

alought the susat with the eclan dose look good

the eclan is coming into effect as my mate is in the army and an armourer and he is being trained on it this week so he knows it inside out, and he said there a good site

Money, and how useful they are.

The ACOG was simply a UOR (urgent operational requirement) and only a few thousand units were purchased. The SUSAT was on its way out - the radioactive element was reaching the end of its life (meaning it would be useless for low-level light fighting) - but, the Elcan wouldn't be fully avaliable until 2009 at the earliest ( :rolleyes: - this being the MoD, we're in 2011, and its only just started to reach some units, and its about 2/5s more expensive than orrigionally planned...)

And remember, the SUSATs won't all loose their usefulness en-massé, some will remain useful for a good few years, whilst others became paperwieghts back in 2009.

The ACOG was only given to some 'teeth' units in Afghanistan. And even then, those squaddies given them seem to be at liberty to choose whether they use the old SUSATs or the ACOG (the same as the new RiS handguard). The reason is that even the MoD could see it would be completely stupid, and expensive to change all SUSATs to ACOGs - only to change those to Elcans a few 'months' (MoD time) later.

If anyone is interested, Hornbil (on RSOV) have released the lever-mount that the ACOG is mounted on SA80s.

The Elcan is pretty nifty, although I've already heard people decrying the fixed X4 magnification it has like the SUSAT, especially since Elcan also make various optics (including variants of the Spectre DR we're getting) with variable mag.

Archived