Airsoft Photography?

Mitchell Gee

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi there,

I guess you have all seen people with cameras running around in a game if airsoft taking photos, whether they be a player, marshal or someone paid to be there...

As you may know my other hobby is photography, now I wanna combine the two together by taking my camera out on the field, but my problem is my cam is a Fujifilm HS10, now for you who don't have a clue what that is, It is fixed lens, and it is expensive... and I don't exactly wanna get my lens shot out, I have a small protector thing that you screw over the lens but I do not know whether that will withstand a BB, and that alone is worth £50 so I don't exactly want to test it... so my question is, how would you recommend going about airsoft photography? Do you reckon my lens will withstand a shot?

Any past experiences would be great if you are willing to share it...

Thanks,

Mitchell

drape a shemagh over it to help absorb hits across the body, and get a lens hood this will help prevent some BB's hiting the lens, and will help get a better picture. And if you really want you can get a clear bit of plastic and tape it to the lens hood so help absorb or maybe deflect any hits from a BB. and if it does go though it will lessen the impact on the lens.

Or you get a lens designed from long range photography, and sit out of range from AEG fire.

or just have a laugh and get a Uni-directional Speaker and make people think they were going mad

these are good ideas... not sitting in the middle is always good i guess, i think we have lotsa perspex laying around... i could always get handy with that... and yes my lens can do long range stuff 720mm equivalent @ 30x zoom :D

Speak for your self, i call that an easy target :P

• Supporters

I did it, and it was very enjoyable, you certainly notice people trying to force good shots on themselves however and I tended to ignore those people. wear a bright jacket and dont sit behind foliage (so people can see the jacket) and just stick to the sidelines, you should have enough zoom and focus to make it look like you were right in the action!

Some tips

get a feel for it in the first rounds.

Take spare batteries / memory cards

dont go crazy focusing on 1 team or certain team members try and get everyone

go with mates

Upload the pictures

go regularly if you can

Enjoy it.

I've done quite a bit of filming and it's been good fun. I got hit a LOT but that was mainly because I was filming in the thck of the action to get good footage and it was worth it. Wear an orange high vis jacket and most people won't shoot at you, of course theres always one prat :lol:

As for the lens I recoend using sniper scope covers, their a bit big so you have to tape them but they'l withstand a BB.

• 3 years later...

Same question, found anything that works well? I got a 300mm Sigma Lens on a Canon Eos 600D which has survived direct paintball hits and only required 3 hours cleaning!!! Might try that mesh but I also have some 5mm clear perspex sheet that i'll experiment with 1st.

HiViz = Big target

• Supporters

This fleabayer supplies Lexan type polycarbonate and says he will cut it into circles - I've just asked him for a quote for a pair of new lenses for a Russian gas mask 51mm diameter x 5mm thick (way thicker than necessary, but the originals are double glazed, so replacements which fit exactly into the fittings will make the job easier. 2mm thick will stop BB's.

Quick test of sticking the sheet to the front of the shade results in no apparent effect on focus or image quality so once I can find my jigsaw i'll cut a circle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.