What pistol torch?

uniweekendwarrior
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice. I've been playing some cqb lately and I like to run around with just the pistol but it's dark as hell in some places. I brought a torch but the button isn't the most responsive. So what's best do I get a touch pad torch or one like the NcSTAR 3W 150 Lumen LED Flashlight QR with Strobe that has the buttons on the sides? All opinions and seguestions welcome :)

I'm not really on a budget but don't exactly want to spend 200 pounds for a torch. It does look nice though, is it a touch pad torch, i carnt see any buttons

OK cheers I'll have a look, what do you use personally? One with a touch pad, ambidextrous switch or button? I am looking for people's opinions on what type is more practical

• Supporters

I am looking for people's opinions on what type is more practical

An actual hand held torch is the most practical. You just use whichever gun & flashlight technique suits you when searching and you can also put your torch down quick as a distraction device. I stopped using weapon mounted lights a while ago and the flexibility of a hand held torch has improved my game no end. I play in the dark all the time and see weapon mounted torches as a free kill.

I picked up a ASG mounted torch but it didn't fit the G17 rail however it fits normal RIS rails so rather than waste money I stuck it on my helmet instead. But yeah one to watch on mounts

I picked up a ASG mounted torch but it didn't fit the G17 rail however it fits normal RIS rails so rather than waste money I stuck it on my helmet instead. But yeah one to watch on mounts

I got a ASG light to start with and it fits my G18

An actual hand held torch is the most practical. You just use whichever gun & flashlight technique suits you when searching and you can also put your torch down quick as a distraction device. I stopped using weapon mounted lights a while ago and the flexibility of a hand held torch has improved my game no end. I play in the dark all the time and see weapon mounted torches as a free kill.

I like the idea of a mounted torch so it's one less thing to carry so I can change magazines quicker. Plus the site prefers people not to put your torch down incase there is an accident and they carnt see anything because of a torch in a corner or something. Yea I don't want to be a target hence why I was thinking something that's quick to turn on and off that's why I liked the touch torch idea

• Moderators

ok, thats answered my brothers question i put in Q&A!! :D

I have a Synderay one from Amazon I got for about £20.

600 lumens, strobe toggle, does everything I want it to, can work with a pressure switch with a bit of modification. It's bright enough to blind people looking through scopes in the daytime, which makes it really useful for suppressing snipers in woodland when they're out of your range and picking you off as you try to move between cover.

You can get Streamlight TLR torches for under sub-£200 if you don't want to stump up for a surefire.

Beware, not all lumens are created equal, there is no standard for measuring the output of the torch. Apart from the brightness there are a number of factors which affect actual performance such as whether the beam pattern is clean, how much spill there is, how big/bright is the hotspot (is there even a hotspot), whether the power source will actually drive the LED or lamp up to the quoted brightness (some manufacturers use the theoretical maximum of the LED which the unit won't actually get close to), how much light actually goes forward out of the emitter, how much is lost in the reflector and how much is lost through the lens.

I agree with tinkle60.

I've had a lot of weapon mounted lights. Best value, in my opinion, is a TLR-1. They can be got for under £100 (around £80 on a good day), they put out over 100 lumens. Even better is the newer TLR-1 HL (around £100-£120), they put out over 600 lumens, the newest revision puts out 800 lumens.

I have been using an older TLR-1 HL for the last year, and it's the best light I've owned, very bright with a good even spread. It puts out more light than my M600 Ultra, which if you ask anyone, is a very bright weapon mounted light. The switch is a rocker switch, can do momentary and constant on. Full metal body, and it's east to screw the front off to add a polycarbonate cover, making it bb proof.

• Supporters

I agree with tinkle60.

I've had a lot of weapon mounted lights. Best value, in my opinion, is a TLR-1. They can be got for under £100 (around £80 on a good day), they put out over 100 lumens. Even better is the newer TLR-1 HL (around £100-£120), they put out over 600 lumens, the newest revision puts out 800 lumens.

I have been using an older TLR-1 HL for the last year, and it's the best light I've owned, very bright with a good even spread. It puts out more light than my M600 Ultra, which if you ask anyone, is a very bright weapon mounted light. The switch is a rocker switch, can do momentary and constant on. Full metal body, and it's east to screw the front off to add a polycarbonate cover, making it bb proof.

I also agree with the Streamlight TLR1-HL

I had a cheapo TM Pistol torch that put out a paltry 100 lumens barely able to illuminate a room using only three of those weak button batteries, then got my TLR1-HL and OMG!!! IT BURNS MY EYES brightness! you can illuminate a whole room by pointing it up and the reflection of the light is enough. Well built for real steel guns.

Buy from the US and you will get it cheaper, but if you want to get one from a legit UK supplier then try VXTactical, they sell the Streamlight TLR1-HL for about £170.

Archived